Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Visiting Cairo

Nichole's friends were here visiting for 5 days and we were all tourists. I joined them for some things that i did not get to see in Cairo yet.We went to Coptic Cairo - visited the Museum there, went to the Hanging church. I was impressed that there was no entrance fee for the church. But what shocked me the most was this young man who approached us and offered to give us a tour of the church. He said he volunteers for the church and that it is all for free - we do not have to pay; he emphasized that! Once he finished he just left, without waiting around for a tip. You don't see that very often here.
We also took a felucca ride and the guys joined us. The sunset was gorgeous!!! These are the things worth taking time for - it is so easy to just get a taxi to the corniche and jump on a felucca to get away from the noisy city!Of course we took the girls to Khan el Khalili - it was crazy there, but the girls got scarves for a really good price - 20-25 Le. We had to stop for Egyptian pancakes at the end of all the craziness. Ben was the one who showed me and Nichole that place. Not bad!
We also went to see Cairo Tower - 187 metres, it is 43 metres higher than the pyramid of Giza. I freaked out as it was way too high for me! I stepped out and tried to walk around it but got too scared, so i called Leah to take me back to the door.

No comments: