Friday, January 23, 2009

Unseen, unsought and uncertain (?)

Back to an old post from a couple of days ago ... back to "Captivating". This following passage is probably the main reason i do not relate to this book that much.
"I know i am not alone in this nagging sense of failing to measure up, a feeling of not being good enough as a woman. Every woman i've met feels it - something deeper than just the sense of failing at what she does. An underlying, gut feeling of failing at who she is. I am not good enough and, i am too much at the same time. Not pretty enough, not thin enough, not kind enough, not gracious enough, not disciplined enough. But too emotional, too needy, too sensitive, too strong, too opinionated, too messy. The result is Shame, the universal companion of women. It haunts us, nipping at our heels, feeding at our deepest fear that we will end up abandoned and alone."
I do not want to say that i am 100% confident about myself, but probably not as bad as the authors describe women. So, probably they should come and meet me!! :) I know i talk too much, laugh too loud, i am too blunt at times ... but still, this does not bring me to the result of Shame, as they describe it.
I am not afraid i will end up abandoned and alone ... i am confident enough that i will do well, from this point of view.
Don't know if this is the way most American women feel - because i said in a previous post the book addresses to an American public. I am sure there are women in the States, just like everywhere, that are comfortable with themselves - their bodies, feelings, jobs etc.

No comments: