Saturday, October 11, 2008

Living in Egypt

Just wanted to say that life in Egypt is cool!!! ..at least to me!! Of course, it is not easy, but i think i like it. I always find myself having fun with the shop keepers, trying to communicate... i just love it!! Besides that, i am good at bargaining... maybe better than some Egyptians (definitely better than John!!! Gosh, did i say that? oops!) I went with John and Sarah to Khan el Khalili some time ago and i managed to get a rug for the price of 15 LE, when they were initially asking 35 LE; i also got a bag for 20 LE, when they were asking for 50 LE. I think this is my favorite part of Egypt - bargaining!!! One thing all the people have to keep in mind when coming here, is: don't pay what they ask!! ALWAYS BARGAIN and pay half of what they are asking, if not less.
It is rather difficult, being away from home, from friends in a new place .... having to deal with so many cultures at a time, when working in an international environment (like me) and living in an international flat.
I like people, i get my energy from being surrounded by them, but sometimes it is just too much for me, and as Wendy says, we all need "cave time". For eg, we had a felluca (still dont know which is the right way to spell that word) ride on Thursday with a bunch of new people - i hated it!!!!! too many new people at a time!!! i cant interract with new people!!! and we were on the Nile for 2 hours!!! it was dark and cold... i wanted to go back!!! Luckily i sat next to Bronwyn and her friend, Tracy and we kept making jokes about certain food that was on the table!! LOL
This weekend i painted the pipes in our bathroom and kitchen; actually i need to do it again, so that it will look better ... probably next weekend, as this week is already full. I just wanted to be in my own world, on "planet Gaby" and i love painting (not pipes, painting beautiful sceneries, but sometimes pipes are good to paint too!) ... so i thought that is a good way to be in my own world. Thoughts and thoughts kept running through my mind about various things, about Egypt, flat, work, home, Christmas ... China, summer etc.
After being in my own world for most of the day, Wendy called and invited me over. So, i went to her place, had a nice glass of white wine, got a bit dizzy ... and socialized; Sarah and John came plus Kathy ... so, even though i didnt feel like having company, it turned out to be a relaxing evening.
One conclusion after the multitude of thoughts today: i might need to change!

No comments: