Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ethiopian food!!!!!

I have spent a lot of time lately with Sara from Ethiopia, Bronwyn from South Africa, Ellien and Nichole (my roomies) from Sweden and the U.S.; when we do something, we usually do it together - we call each other and make arrangements. Usually Bron has the initiative!
We all thought it would be a good idea to have "a traditional day" when we'll take turns and cook food from our own country and do some other stuff.


So, Sara volunteered to be the first one; last Friday we went to her place for some Ethiopian food. They cooked it for about 6 hours!! We had potatoes and beetroot, lentils with onions and spices, cucumber with youghurt, sheep stomach with carrots and something else, beef in a spicy sauce.

Of course, the beef was too spicy for me (me and spices = not good friends), the lentils had just enough spices that i could take, the sheep stomach i couldnt eat, just because our Romanian "ciorba de burta" - which is soup with cow's stomach and i find it disgusting, although i have never tried it. It was all served on a pita bread, which was more or less like a pancake or crepe. I did enjoy the meal and had more than enough.

After the meal we were served Ethiopian coffee - we were presented the whole process - frying it etc. Sara's friend has made it for us. You can see her in the pic - she is wearing an Ethiopian traditional costume. Coffee was served 3 times - that's the way they do it in Ethiopia. I had it just once, because it was very strong (just like my mom makes it) and my stomach is too sensitive!!

We enjoyed the meal very much and the whole day we spent together!! We listened to music and tried some salsa moves. :D - me= disaster!!

Sara has braided my hair and it looked pretty. We had Barbara (Ellien's friend from Germany) with us and it was cool that we were all from so many different countries!!!

No comments: