Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Stop and smell the roses

That's exactly what I did today on my way home; after stopping at Radio Shack to look for a flashlight, I went on to Rd 9 and entered my favourite Cairo flower shop - Pharaoh's Flowers or smth like that! Their flowers are more expensive than others, but they are always fresh and you can find flowers that are not in season. I love it when they have tulips or my favourites, calla lilies.
I go into that shop every time I need to "breathe", so today I went in and actually smelled the roses and the lilies... The man greeted me and didn't say anything else ... he probably knows me by now!
This reminds me that this saying "Stop and smell the roses" is actually a misquote of advice from the golfer Walter Hagen that appeared in the 1956 book "The Walter Hagen Story":

"You're only here for a short visit. Don't hurry. Don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way."

I am here for a short visit ... I am not in a hurry, I will not be worried ... and I WILL smell the flowers along the way!

No comments: