Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Renting flats and security deposits in Egypt

Communication is a very important tool that can save us from our own misery, I would say ... It is a very useful tool to have and especially know how to use it in this country, where things are so different. What might work for me in my country, will definitely not work here!
So, I had another encounter with the Egyptian culture yesterday ... Very optimistic and full of energy Nichole and I went to see our landlady yesterday asking for our 2500 LE security deposit back, since we are leaving the flat/country. Some people told me today I had quite the nerve to go and ask for it back, since it is a known fact you do NOT get your security deposit back.
Well, in my understanding, I pay a deposit that will guarantee that if anything gets broken in the flat during my stay there, those money will cover that expense.
In the Egyptian understanding - you pay a security deposit to ensure your stay in the flat and there is no way you will get it back!
Our landlady was shocked that we asked for it and said that if we had left at the end of our 1 year contract, then we would've gotten our money back, but since we stayed for a 2nd year, there is no way she will give it to us! We tried explaining that this was not communicated to us and when we have told her that we want to stay for another year, they didn't suggest that we should sign another contract (which means nothing here anyway) etc.
They said they did us a favour by letting us stay for another year at the same price, because usually in Egypt the rent goes up every year. She made it sound like she would've raised it to 3500, which is ridiculous because the rent goes up 10% every year, from what I've understood.
Anyway, we had some sort of agreement in the end and we will get it back, but this is not an usual situation. I advised her to make things clear in the future with other people, to explain the situation as we come with different mentalities and we assume things according to what we are used to.
Hooray!!!!!!!

No comments: