Saturday, February 6, 2010

On cultures and standard of living


"The world in which you were born is just one model of reality. OTHER CULTURES ARE NOT FAILED ATTEMPTS AT BEING YOU, they are unique manifestations of the human spirit." Wade Davis

I found this poster at a friend's house.... I liked it the first time I saw it and thought: "It really speaks to my soul!".
I've always thought of myself as a very open person ... open to culture, to diversity ... thinking I accept the South-American tribes and their nakedness, I accept the Asian culture with the weird cuisine, I accept the Muslim world with their burkas....
however, I seem to get annoyed when I hear people living in a different culture than theirs complain over one thing or another. I guess that is one sign that I do not accept those people because they do not have the same understanding that I have, the same perspectives that I have... therefore, it somehow puts me in the same boat as them: complaining over other cultures and the way they perceive life. I am not sure if it makes sense ... but it does to me!
I learned a lesson this week: "other people are not failed attempts at being me!" and I am not better because I do not wear a burka, or on the contrary go naked thinking the proper way to go dressed in public is to wear the clothes that I am wearing;
I am not better because I live in a nice flat with running water and a toilet that flushes instead of a hut with no insulation.
I am not better because I have a toaster, washing machine, a dish-washer instead of an open fire or the river to wash my clothes.
I am not better because I eat what I call proper food like chilli, bbq chicken, apple pie instead of tarantulas, rice and beans, cats!
I am not better because I drive a car compared to a horse and cart.
I am not better because I am educated ...
I am not better because I can use a computer and have access to information...
I am not better because I have a bank account and I organise my savings...
I am not better because I can speak 4 languages .... one should be enough!

I remember growing up during the communism and not having satellite, Internet, toaster or dish-washer ... but my world was ok and I was happy because I DID NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE! I can look back and say: "How on earth did we manage without cell phones or even landline?" I guess the sense of community was stronger, people were more attentive to their neighbour's needs, concerns, joys ....
While the world felt sorry for my country, the common man/woman was ok, because they did not know any better... Now, was that better BETTER? From some points of view, yes .... from others, no. Not that I regret the communism... God forbid! But the simplicity of that life was so much better!!
Now we think we can do it on our own and we become individualistic, self-centred ... I hear people say that in their country, they do not even know their neighbours ... because we don't need them! We can do things OURSELVES! We have a TV to keep us company, a cell phone if we need to order food, a car to go places ...

Is the one or the other life-style better? My answer: NO! I am not to judge any person for their way of living ... A very wise man told me last week that I have been fortunate to experience both ... I have witnessed history!
Indeed ... I guess I have been blessed and I hope I can pass this to my children and grandchildren.

2 comments:

ankesepamon said...

1. fa-ti copii mai repede ca sa ai ce le transmite :d, asta pana nu uiti :))
2. tre sa iti dau o carte... e mica, ii fac poze in weekend si ti-o trimit pe mail ;) you'll find yourself there...

pup!

Gaby said...

ce carte? hai ca m-ai facut curioasa!!