Friday, August 29, 2008

Finally in Egypt!!




Greets!


I've been in Egypt for a little more than 2 weeks, but i never had the time to update my blog due to house hunting, cleaning, school starting etc.


I arrived on a Sunday evening/morning; i left my house at 1 o'clock in the afternoon, got the train to Bucharest; my flight was at 00:40, but luckily Cristina (my friend who lives in Bucharest) picked me up at the train station and i got to spend some time with her before leaving. She was so happy for me as Egypt has always been her favorite country.


Got to airport at around 10 pm ... there were many Arabic people there and one thing i couldnt stop looking at was this family of 5 + mother in law =6; the husband was sitting next to his mother 2 chairs from his wife, who had to handle 3 little girls plus 3 huge carts of luggage. That was my first encounter with the Egyptian culture.


I was very tired and i thought i will get some sleep on the plane, but there was a large group of teenagers who seemed to be having so much fun and they were so noisy!!!!!!! In the end i decided i wanted a coffee and i didnt sleep at all.


After 3 hours we were above Cairo ... i was dissapointed at first thinking it is such a shame not being able to arrive during daylight, so i can see the city ... but it turned out to be such a great view at night!!! The city is huge and there were lights everywhere!!


Once on the ground i had to fill in a form asking for my name etc, plus the person/family i am visiting and the address i am going to live at. Everything was simple. After that, i went and payed 15 $ for a visa..and that was it!


I got throught the customs faster than i thought ... they didnt open my suitcase or anything; the only thing htey asked me was if my husband is in Egypt, and then i pointed to my finger showing i have no ring, meaning i am not married. Next question was if my parents are in Egypt... which they're not; last question but not the least was if i plan to marry an Egyptian; i started smiling and eventually i said no. it was very funny to hear them speaking English as i couldn't understand a word of it!!!


The Himes arrived a little bit later, which was my suggestion in the beggining thinking it will take a while to get out of the airport.... so i just sat there trying to keep calm and wait for them. We took a taxi and headed home.


I slept from 5 am to 11 am ... That afternoon they showed me the area, and introduced me to so many things that i already forgot!!


i was excited to meet Nichole, whom i have been in touch for a couple of months before arriving. I met her 2 days later as she was in Dahab with some friends. She is lovely and i am happy we are living together.


I lived with Kathy a very nice lady who works at a different school here; she's been very kind to have me at her place for the first two weeks!


Nichole stayed at Wendy's, in a big building at the 17'th floor, wt a gorgeous view over the Nile and you can see the pyramids from there too!!


We live in Maadi, a nice suburb of Cairo .. very green compared to the rest of the city; Maadi is bigger than i thought ... but it is a safe area and i love it here. There are many shops where u can buy everything u need, there is a club with swimming pool and many other things to do during the weekend.

No comments: