Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Our morning terror!!!!!

Some time ago (weeks ago) the door bell started ringing at 5 am ... that is not something usual here, but once again, there are so many things happening here, that there is no definition for normal or usual. It happened that i opened the door the first time. It was a young boy and he was telling me that he is the garbage man and he collects the garbage every morning from our door and that we need to pay him 5 LE. He woke me up ... it was 5 am, so i looked at my watch very puzzled, i looked at him, looked at my watch again and gave him a look that said smth like: "you must be kidding me!". I was too sleepy to react in any way, so i told him to come the next day, coz it was too early in the morning, pointing at my watch.
Surprise!! Next morning he came again... it was around the same time, or earlier. This time, Nichole woke up and gave him 5 LE.
Well, he came again last week, while we were waiting for our piano to be delivered, so i opened thinking the piano was here. Of course not!! It was our dear friend, the garbage man, coming to collect the money again. One thing that i need to mention before is that he is NOT the garbage man and we are not suppose to pay him, but we didnt know this before.
So, he shows up at the door (we had lots of garbage, as Mohammed cleaned our house the day before and he took all the junk from our balcony out).
He says to me: "madame, i collect the garbage every morning and you owe me 5 Le!".
I said: "No, i am not paying you!".
He says: "Madame, kiteer garbage!!" (a lot of garbage)
I said: "I know!"
He says: "Madame, 5 pounds!"
I said: "I am not paying you! Mefeesh money!!"
He says: "Madame, i collect garbage from everybody and they all pay me 5 pounds!"
At this point i am getting frustrated so i go: "Listen, if you dont want to take the garbage it is ok! Leave it here, i dont mind!!"
He goes: "Madame ...."
Then, Nichole comes out of her room, coz she hears me raising my voice; he sees her and jumps with excitement: "Aha!!! Madame arfa!!" (Madame knows!!) - coz Nichole paid him last time. i get even more upset and say: "Laa, madame misharfa!!" (No, madame doesnt know!). Nichole goes back to her room and tells me to call Nora - the landlady - but i was in the mood, and i didnt mind arguing with him. I guess i needed an Egyptian man to throw my anger at.
Me: "what dont you understand?? Leave the garbage here and go away!"
I am trying to tell him that our landlady told us not to pay him, because we have somebody else collecting our garbage. So, i tell him to go and ring the bell at flat 1 (our landlady), and ask her for the money. Then, he asks me if he should take the garbage or not, so i tell him to do whatever he wants. I go back to bed, he takes the garbage down. 15 minutes later, the doorbell rings again. He tells me that he rang the bell at flat 1 but they sleep.
My reaction: "Of course they sleep!!!!! I dont blame them!!! IT IS 6 O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING!" At this point, i was very upset and i was almost at the point of switching to Romanian and talk him about all the saints.
He backs off coz he sees me going mad, and tries to calm me down; i start shouting at him, saying i am not paying him, so in the end he leaves.
At this point i couldnt go back to bed, so i just made coffee and got ready for school.
Today, at 7 am i was coming back from the train station, after 12 hours on the train - guess who was at our door? THE GARBAGE MAN! He sees me ... i am like: "you again!!". He asks for money, i tell him i am not paying him ... I tell him it is too early and ask him to come at 9 or 10 having in mind to take him downstairs to the landlady and have her talk to him. he never came - i expect he'll be here tomorrow morning. Our landlady advised us today not to pay him at all and not to open the door, coz he is dangerous. I dont know if i will be able to put up with all the ringing at 4-5 am for half an hour - if he drives me really mad, i might just get a stick and run after him on the stairs.
All our conversation was in Arabic - as he doesnt speak English - his only English words were: money, 5 pounds, garbage. My Arabic is limited to a few words as well, but i think i made myself understood...

No comments: