Monday, May 2, 2011

An update ...


I've been so bad lately keeping this blog up to date!! I went home for Easter break and I was asked: "What happened to you? You don't write as often as you used to!!...."
I guess I just got caught up with life and ignored all of you out there .... Life has been hectic around here .... meeting new people, doing all kinds of crazy things and when I say crazy I really mean crazy (bbq in the desert in the midst of a sandstorm, getting lost sooo many times in this city driving, having fun wt friends new and old, meeting new people, especially locals and learning more about them and their life-style...) I have to say life is not the same when you immerse yourself completely into this culture and making friends with the locals.
There is this one friendship in particular than I am developing with a Qatari woman who's about my age (a few years older).... the interesting thing is that she does not speak English and I do not speak Arabic! Well, she speaks a few words of English and I speak a few of Arabic, but we seem to connect and have so many laughs together!! She gives me karak (a yummy type of tea only found here in Qatar and India) and ahwa (coffee) and sends me messages on my BB in Arabic! (Thank God for the translator application that I just downloaded with Katrina's help!).
Ohh, yeah I forgot to mention (not to brag but more to make a point...) - I now have a Blackberry and I wouldn't say this here but somebody made a remark last week while we were chatting about various subjects - this Qatari lady was doing my hair and make-up for a wedding and she was surprised with how quickly I've learned so many things about this culture! So she says: "Ohh, you are all Qatari now! You even have a Blackberry and BB!!!" I started smiling, because my Blackberry was a present from a friend who said to me when seeing my Nokia: "You DON'T have a Blackberry??????" with the biggest astonishment ever! So, yes everybody here is into Blackberry!! (I guess Blackberry should pay me for this free advertisement)
I've attended a few weddings here ... and I am learning how to dance the Qatari way (I am still rubbish at it though, but the important thing is that I am trying!) Unfortunately nobody is allowed to take pictures at the weddings here, as there's just women and they uncover at the wedding, to reveal the most amazing dresses, make-up and hair that I have even seen in my life! The weddings here are a display of wealth, style..... Imagine yourself wearing your best dress ever, the best make-up ever and the best hair ever - that would still not measure up to what the Qatari ladies wear here! I think I should write a separate post on weddings! (Btw, I am attending one tonight!).
Now I have my own abaya!!! :D Actually I have 2! (An abaya is the long, black dress the ladies wear here for those of you who have no idea of what it is).... It is very practical to have one, as I often put it over my pyjamas just to go to the supermarket or drive somewhere to grab a coffee! A funny thing happened this weekend - I had a long sleep bcz of a party the night before and I woke up late next day feeling hungry; I was craving a salad so I just put my abaya over my pj's and went to the nearest supermarket! When I got to pay the Filipino cashier greeted me with a "salam alekum!" I replied in English and her facial expression was priceless! I have to admit that I don't think I'd pass for a local... my skin is way too white.... I smiled at her thinking to myself I should do this more often, just for fun when I need to brighten up my day or when I need smth different!
I've been thinking a lot these days of the book I am planning to write and I just need to sit down and find time to gather my thoughts.... soon!!!
xxx

No comments: