Friday, December 3, 2010

Qatar 2022


Yesterday became a historical day for Qatar. They have won the bid to host the World Cup in 2022. As I turned my computer on in the morning I was surprised to see that google had this image on!! Well done!!
When I arrived in August there were sign everywhere, big posters with the logo "support Qatar's bid for 2022"; I didn't pay too much attention to it at that point. It wasn't until I actually put a sticker on my car that says: "I support Qatar's bid for 2022" that I got in the spirit of the whole thing.



The emir and his wife, the sheikha were thrilled!!

2022 is in 12 years from now - I asked myself where will I be in 12 years?? Definitely not in Qatar anymore, though it would be fun to experience the world cup here. Who knows, maybe I will come back! :)
Anyway, it is quite amazing that I got to experience history yesterday, even though I was in my flat - I could still hear the honking and the excitement of all the people. The interesting thing was that the people honking and cheering were not Qatari - most of the population here is expats, but we all felt happy for the nation that is hosting us! We all hoped they will win the bid and it was nice to see so many people, from so many countries rejoicing for one thing!

No comments: